Guinness World Records is partnering with the Virgin Money London Marathon for the 11th year running, giving participants in one of the world’s most popular marathons the chance to become official record title holders.
An adjudicator will be at the finish line to tell you whether you have successfully achieved the record you are attempting. This is usually a paid-for service but, for this day only, the verification will be carried out for free. Please note that in order to apply for a record, you must have secured a place in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon on 22 April. Places are not available via Guinness World Records.
At the 2017 event there were 40 new Guinness World Records titles achieved, with attempts by 73 runners, ranging from the Fastest marathon in a two-person costume – a Jamaican bobsled – to the Fastest marathon dressed as a toilet roll (female)!
An official Guinness World Records attempt is a great way of enhancing your Virgin Money London Marathon experience, as well as potentially raising awareness and money for your chosen charity. Who knows, you might make history! Read about last year's record-breakers.
You can help make the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon the best yet by trying to break a world record on the day.
The deadline for applications is 5 p.m. GMT on Friday, 9 February 2018.
As part of the submission process, all applicants must provide a full description of their planned record attempt, which will be reviewed by the London Marathon Events Ltd Operations Department to ensure it is appropriate for the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Please make a standard application via guinnessworldrecords.com and include the following:
- A record title and full description of the Guinness World Records attempt.
- Dimensions of the costume or object that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight).
- Applicant’s unique running number allocated via ballot-place confirmation, through a charity or other guaranteed means of entry.
- Projected finish time in any costume you hope to wear.
- Once you have applied, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph clearly showing the runner wearing or carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal.
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a biographical form by Friday, 2 March 2018.
- If the record title you wish to run for doesn’t exist on our website, you are able to suggest a new title. Please note that VMLM runners will not be charged the £5 fee as stated at the beginning of the process. If you have any further questions please email email@example.com with your proposed title and image of the costume for our records manager to review. (Please note: this email account is for new categories only and any other correspondence won’t be responded to.)
Please note that you may be asked to take part in The Big Half 2018 in London on Sunday 4 March for a practical demonstration of your record attempt in race conditions. Please also note that applications will be rejected for any runner who is asked to run The Big Half and does not do so.
London Marathon Events Ltd reserves the right to deny entry if the costume is deemed to contravene health and safety regulations. All applicants approved for on-the-day ratification will be moved to the Green Start by London Marathon Events Ltd.