Guinness World Records Limited competition terms and conditions
1. These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notices (as defined below) are the Competition Rules ("Rules") and apply to competitions on the GWR and "Sites" (www.guinnessworldrecords.com) ("Competition"), unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
2. The Competition is organised by Guinness World Records Limited of 12th floor, South Quay Building, 189 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SH ("GWR").
3. Rules specific to each Competition are displayed in a notice on the page for such Competition ("Competition Notice") and are incorporated into the Rules. In the event of differences or discrepancy between these terms and conditions and the Competition Notice, the Competition Notice shall prevail.
4. GWR reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Rules without notice in the event of an act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside GWR's reasonable control. Any changes will be posted either within these terms and conditions or the Competition Notice. A copy of the Rules may also be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: Competition Rules, GWR, 12th floor, South Quay Building, 189 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SH.
5. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of GWR shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
6. Employees (or members of the families or households of employees) of GWR or any company involved in the Competition or, if relevant, production of a television programme to which a Competition relates, or any advertising agency or web company connected with the Competition or any such person’s subsidiary or associated companies, are not eligible to enter the Competition. GWR reserves the right not to award a prize (and to select an alterative winner) if GWR is aware or has reasonable grounds to believe that a winner is not eligible.
7. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. GWR reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
8. The address you provide with your competition entry ("Entry") will be used to send any prizes so please make sure this is correct. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, Competitions are only open to residents of the United Kingdom and you are not entitled to enter the Competition if you are resident outside of the United Kingdom. Where a Competition is open to entrants from outside the United Kingdom, you are not entitled to enter the Competition if you are resident in a country or jurisdiction where the Competition may breach any law or regulation. Where this applies, GWR’s invitation to enter the Competition in such country and/or jurisdiction is withdrawn.
9. Where a Competition is open to all age groups, GWR assumes that by using the website and entering the Competition (and you warrant that) you are aged 13 or over or, if you are under 13, that your parents have consented to your entry into the Competition and these Rules. If a Competition is only open to a certain age group, this will be set out in the Competition Notice and GWR assumes that by entering the Competition (and you warrant that) you are the appropriate age to enter the Competition).
10. GWR reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the Rules.
11. In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, GWR in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
12. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, you may enter the Competition only once; where a winner has been selected and GWR discovers or has reasonable grounds to believe the winner has used any software or automated process either to answer questions or to make bulk entries, GWR may select an alternative winner. Any further winner will be selected on the same criteria as the original winner and will be subject to these Rules.
13. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
14. There is no purchase requirement to enter a Competition and there is no charge to register for use of the website.
15. Proof of posting or emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. GWR cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of or unauthorised access to Entries, or Entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside GWR’s control.
16. Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, GWR does not accept responsibility for the return of any Entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
17. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, prize winners will be chosen at random from all correct Entries (for competitions involving answering questions or where entry is by emailing or otherwise providing a name and/or contact details to GWR) or from all submitted entries (where creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria apply to entries (unless these are being judged as set out in the Competition Notice)), within twenty eight (28) days of the closing date specified in the Competition Notice. Tie-breakers will be judged by GWR and, if required by law, by an independent adjudicator. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) and GWR shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
19. Claims for prizes must be made in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to claim a prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
20. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. GWR reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
21. Prizes are awarded at GWR’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where Entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, GWR and/or the Competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the Competition if Entries are not of the requisite standard.
22. Where a prize may not be appropriate for a younger contestant, the minimum age for entry will be stated in the Competition Notice and must be observed. GWR reserves the right to request written proof of age of any winner.
23. All taxes, insurances, transfers and other expenses as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Intellectual Property Rights & Use of Entries
24. GWR does not, unless we agree this with you, claim any rights of ownership in your Entry. As such, you retain ownership of your Entry and, although GWR will be able to use Entries as set out in the Rules, you will also have the right to use your Entry in any way you choose. Where any Entry is to be used in a different way this will be made clear on the website and you will then be able to choose whether to enter the Competition. If you win a prize, as a condition to receipt of that prize, you may be required to sign a release form (in GWR's then current standard form) in connection with the prize-winning submission.
25. In consideration of GWR agreeing to consider entrants to the Competition, each entrant hereby agrees that GWR (and third parties authorised by GWR) may make any and all Entries available on the website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, which may include other internet sites, mobile, television and/or radio and that Entries may be made available with advertising and/or sponsorship. You now grant GWR (and third parties authorised by GWR) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the Entry) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works or podcasts from, edit, alter, store, re-format, sell and sub-licence the Entry for such purposes.
26. GWR does not guarantee to use or otherwise make available any Entry. GWR may also, in appropriate circumstances, and at its sole discretion, reject, edit, remove or disable access to Entries that appear to be legally or otherwise problematic e.g. infringe the copyright or other intellectual property or privacy rights of others, are defamatory etc. or for any other reason.
27. Your Entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You hereby warrant that your Entry and all information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. If relevant, GWR reserves the right, but not the obligation, to screen, filter and/or monitor information provided by you and to edit, refuse to distribute or remove the same.
28. GWR cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any prize. GWR is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination of these, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. Nothing shall exclude GWR’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
Data Protection and Publicity
How to contact us
32. You can contact us in relation to any Competition by writing to GWR Competitions, GWR, Third Floor, 12th floor, South Quay Building, 189 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SH.